Primary school, Brno, Masarova 11,
Primary school Masarova is an urban settlement school that has been offering education to pupils of elementary and secondary stage since the year 1982. Every year there are about 550 pupils. The school works according to its own educational programme "Opportunity for everyone“ and tries to realize following priorities:
- Language communication and foreign language education
- Working with information
- Project and Dalton education
- Personal and social education
- Leisure activities
Our school is a member of the Czech Dalton and cooperates with Dalton International. Dalton teaching method was firstly introduced by Helen Parkhurst. It is based on three elementary principles which allow pupils to be active contributors to the teaching-learning process:
- freedom (responsibility),
Our school offers:
- Logopedic care to pupils with speech disorders in the first class.
- Preparation for school education for preschool-age children.
- Foreign language education - English language is taught from the first grade and German language can be chosen from the sixth grade as an optional subject.
- We provide special English lessons for our talented pupils in which they are prepared for the Cambridge international language exams. There are two such exams – YLE (Young Learners English) aiming at the fifth graders and KET (Key English Tests) aiming at the ninth graders. Teachers of this courses cooperate with the British Council.
- Activity of School Pedagogical Centre. In this centre the school psychologist, special pedagogue, methodist of prevention and educational and career consultant work.
- Skilled assistants work with pupils with special educational needs and we also provide an individual care to pupils with special learning disabilities.
- The Centre for free time activities allows our pupils to attend more than 30 leisure time classes.
- Our school offers the usage of modern technology and class work in special classrooms (Physics, Chemistry, IT, Multimedia, language classrooms). These classrooms are equipped with overhead projectors, computers and interactive whiteboards.
- We provide remedial stays for pupils (first – fifth grade).
- For older pupils we organize trips to the United Kingdom.
- For the ninth graders we organize preparatory courses which help them to pass entrance exams to high schools.
- Every year we organize winter courses. Pupils can learn to ski or go snowboarding.
- There are eight after school clubs for pupils. One class focuses on practise of English language.
- We also have a school canteen in the school building.
- Our school pays attention to working with the class teams during the special lessons called "Little houses“. Various activities focus on improving relationships between the pupils and the teacher and among the pupils themselves. Also social-pathological appearance prevention takes part here once a week.
- Pupils are also allowed to present their suggestions and ideas in the School Pupils Parliament that sits regularly once a month.
- In years 2009-2010 and 2011-2013 our school took part in two multilateral European projects (Comenius, now Erasmus+). These projects allowed our pupils to cooperate with other schools from different European countries. The first project was called “Together in Traditions – Together in the Future“ and the other “We Are the World – We Are the Children“. Our pupils participated in many activities through which they made new friends, got to know many useful information and it also helped them improve their level of English.
Mgr. Ivo Zálešák
Primary school Brno, Masarova 11, state-funded institution
Phone/Fax: +420 544 321 200